V-8 Thunder Stock Division
Bubba Raceway Park – V-8 Thunder Stock Rules
Rule Book Disclaimer:
The rules and/or regulations set forth herein are designed to provide for the orderly conduct of racing events and to establish minimum acceptable requirements for such events. These rules shall govern the condition of all events, and by participating in these events, all participants are deemed to have complied with these rules. NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM THE PUBLICATION OF OR COMPLIANCE WITH THESE RULES AND/OR REGULATIONS. They are intended entirely as a guide for the conduct of the sport and in no way guarantee against injury or death to any participant, spectator or official.
The Race Director or Head Tech Inspector shall be empowered to permit reasonable and appropriate deviation from and of the specifications herein or impose any further restrictions that in their opinion do not alter the minimum acceptable requirements. NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM THE PUBLICATION OF OR COMPLIANCE WITH THESE RULES AND/OR REGULATIONS. Any interpretation or deviation of these rules is left to the discretion of the officials and is final and binding.
On occasion when situations arise that are not covered by written rules herein, special rulings may be put into effect by the track officials. Once such rulings are acted upon, they may become an act of policy and will be added to the existing rules of procedures.
- If it is not stated in the rules it doesn’t mean it’s approved. Please consult with tech official for approval.
- All Tech decisions are final. The track reserves the right to add weight to any driver in the fairness of competition.
- You need to understand and comply by all safety rules and requirements.
Track Management as well as the Tech Official reserves the right to disqualify any car and/or driver that does not comply with all safety requirements. Competition will not and cannot come before safety.
- Any 1970 or newer American made production 2 or 4 door sedan. The minimum wheelbase allowed is 101” (1” tolerance) (centerline of front wheels to centerline of rear wheels). (This cannot be altered). Weight 3200 lbs. with original driver after completion of the race.
- No subcompact cars. No foreign convertibles, four wheel drive or front wheel drive cars allowed. No chopping, shortening, or channeling. Both sides must be the same. In case a frame issue comes up from a wreck, get with tech to see how or if the chassis is capable to be put back to be legal.
- 5″ minimum frame and body ride height.
- Car body must be strictly stock. No modifications or alterations of any kind unless outlined below. No flaring of bodies.
- Stock OEM body parts or may be stock replacement aftermarket. May use self-made .040 aluminum or 18 gauge steel body panels that are as close to stock appearing as possible with no sharp edges or protrusions. Doors must round down and attach to rocker panels. No crush panels or slab sides. If it looks like a streetstock you will be forced to race with them! No exceptions!
- Removal of interior parts which can be removed with hand tools are okay. Any interior part that is flammable must be removed. Left and right passenger doors may be gutted for roll bars. Minimum of 4 bars on driver’s side. Three bars on passenger side. All exterior trim must be removed. Removal and gutting of roof to install roll cage ok.
- Hood must have hood pins in front, hinges or pins at rear. Hood must close in original stock position. No fiberglass or aluminum after-market or made hoods.
- Complete stock floor pan must be retained. No sheet metal floor pan. In case of repairing damaged, rusting or rotted floor pan you must use same gauge or heavier of stock floor pan.
- Fenders may be trimmed for tire clearance.
- The window channel on the front doors of a sedan style body may be removed. All other window posts must remain as placed by manufacturer in original location. All glass and plastic must be removed.
- Plastic stock appearing noses only. No slope or late model style noses. Must match original body. If there is no matching nose piece for your particular body, see tech official for options.
- No side windows of any kind with the exception of factory quarter panel windows may be used.
- Factory spoilers and aftermarket rocker panel skirts are okay. 6” by 60” maximum after-market spoiler. No side spoilers. Aftermarket rocker panel skirts must meet ride height rule.
- Bumpers may be steel tubing with no sharp edges, corners, must be rounded. Pipe may not be larger than 1 ¾” by .095 thickness.
- Steel tubing may be used to brace or protect radiator. One hoop bar over radiator attached to frame horns may be used. It may be braced with bars angled to frame horns.
- Wire Screen minimum 1” by 1” with three ½” bars must be installed in front of driver in place of windshield. Screen replaced entire original windshield.
- Inner skin of hood and trunk lid may be gutted. Floor of trunk areal may be removed from centerline of rear end back.
- May have rub rails (one per side only) made of 1” round or square tubing, ends must be capped at a 45 degree angle.
- Trunk and fuel cell area must be tightly sealed from the driver compartment.
- May deck from behind driver seat to rear window. Must have a 12”x12” inspection door for inspection. Floor pan and rear firewall must remain.
- Rear spoiler, from deck height to top of spoiler must not exceed 6” at any angle.
- Full 18”x24” window net mandatory. Window net must unhook from the top.
- Battery must be self-contained and securely mounted in battery box.
- No radios, audible communication devices except raceceiver or in car lap timers.
- Dashboards are required and may be made of steel or aluminum.
- All pedals must remain in stock location, with the exceptions of clutch pedal and slave cylinder on cars converted to standard transmission that had no manual clutch. Stock factory brake pedal must be mounted in original factory stock location.
- Stock steel roofs are required. No aluminum roofs. All sheet metal, roof height, firewalls, floor pans, and body mounts must remain in stock location and dimensions.
Chassis and Suspension
All chassis and suspension components must be stock and mounted in stock location unless herein outlined.
- Aftermarket stock mount springs and spring perches are allowed.
- No composite leaf springs. Rear springs must fit in stock location and buckets. Rear coil spring bucket spacers okay. Leaf springs may run longer shackles than stock to compensate for bent frame rails, and can be run in any hole on either side.
- Lowering blocks are allowed up to two inch max and can interchange from side to side. Ride height 5”.
- One shock per wheel. Shocks must be in factory stock location, bolted directly to frame or control arm with no spacers or extensions. No coil over.
- May use threaded or non-threaded spring buckets on front only. Buckets do not have to be same height, but threaded buckets must be welded.
- May use spring rubbers.
- Camber may be adjusted with any length bolts.
- Sway bar may be removed. If the sway bar remains on car it must be stock for make and model. May be adjusted at a-frame only.
- Stock replacement shocks: Steel body, non-adjustable. Shock must be in factory stock locations. 50/50 or split valve shocks ok. No adjustable shocks.
- Shock claimer rule: $75 per shock and must forfeit own shocks. Driver claiming shock(s) must have finished in top five (5) and be on the lead lap. Claim and money must be presented to tech official within ten (10) minutes of race completion. Claimee must also bring car straight to tech after completion of race for exchange of shocks.
- Steering components must be stock for make, year, and model of car. Quick release allowed. Quick steer okay. Aftermarket power steering pump allowed.
- Factory replacement offset upper control arm shaft okay.
- Upper and lower ball joints must bolt or press into factory location with no alterations or modifications to control arms. No rebuildable ball joints.
- Rear trailing arms must remain stock and mounted in stock location. May box in bottom of trailing arms.
- Urethane and steel, non-spherical bushings are allowed in front control arms. Urethane and “soft” rear control arm bushings allowed. E.G. Speedway PT# 916-34046 & 910-34046. Speedway PT# 916-34048 is not a legal part.
- No offset bushings.
- Stock for make and model. GM350, Chrysler360, Ford351 MAX. Metric cars will be allowed 350 cubic inches. Engine location in stock position for make and model in factory mounts. Engines must remain strictly stock as produced by manufacturer. No modifications of any kind unless outlined herein.
- OEM connecting rods.
- Eagle Rods part # 5700 BPLW non bushed or bushed.
- Scat Rods part # 3ICR5700 bushed or non bushed.
- Crankshaft OEM stock may use cast or forged. May balance on bottom of counter weights only. No grinding on any part of crankshaft.
- Eagle Crank part # 103503480 two piece or one piece.
- Scat crank shaft part # 9-10442 two piece or # 9-10526 one piece.
- No high performance engine of any kind. No high performance parts of any kind. No air boxes.
- Heads 70cc minimum. 56cc head is acceptable for Ford Engine only with a 50 pound weight penalty.
- Three angle valve job is okay. Final cut no greater than 75 degrees. Must use stock valve size for cylinder head used. No 2.02 head. Maximum valve size 194/150.
- Stock length and diameter pushrods only.
- Bronze guides okay.
- 1.270” O.D. maximum valve spring diameter. OEM replacement valve spring retainers are okay. No light weight, aluminum, or titanium.
- Stainless OEM stock replacement valves. Neck downs and swirl polished are okay. Must be stock length and diameter for head used.
- Screw in studs, guide plates, and poly locks are okay.
- No grinding on any engine part or component.
- Maximum overbore allowed is .060 + .010 for clearance.
- Optional: pulleys, oil pan and engine fasteners.
- Aftermarket or racing valve covers and oil pans are permitted.
- Aftermarket pulleys permitted. No fluid dampeners.
- Aluminum radiator and water pumps are okay.
- Cam lift: GM .390/.410, Ford .425/.450, Dodge .390/.420, Pontiac .388/.424. Camshaft may be degreed. No gear drives. No 4-7 swap camshafts.
- Factory OEM stock 2 or 4 Barrel Quadrajet (choke plate and shaft may be removed) or Holley 4412 500 cfm with Mr Gasket PT#1929 adapter. May remove choke plate and shaft, change jets, power valve and accelerator pump. Ford my use Mr Gasket 1933, which is a 2 barrel to 4 barrel adapter. Ford may use Holley 1850. May remove choke plate and shaft, change jets, power valve and accelerator pump. No secondary metering block.
- Lifter Valley baffle and screens are okay.
- Any 3 ring 4 eyebrow flat top piston allowed. Piston skirt must extend below wrist pin boss.
- Any solid material air cleaner top.
- Engine oil cooler okay.
- All internal components cannot exceed factory OEM specs. It is your responsibility to provide factory data to back up your specs and not the tracks.
- Stock configuration style solid motor mounts allowed and must be mounted in stock location. May chain, strap, or use OEM replacement urethane motor mounts. Examples of what is ok, but not limited to are Moroso Kit #62610 and #62630. For any other mounts please check with tech official before installation.
- OEM cast iron intake only. No marine, bowtie or aluminum intakes.
- All engine fasteners and bolts are builder’s choice.
- Rocker arms 1.5 ratio stamped steel only. No other ratio, no roller tip, no roller.
- GM 602 crate motor option. Must use gauge legal Holley 4412 with Mr. Gasket pt# 1933 and a single paper gasket on either side of the adapter.
- BUBBA RACEWAY PARK WILL ALLOW CRATE ENGINES THAT ARE NESMITH, UMP, FASTRACK OR EASTBAY RACEWAY PARK APPROVED SEALED ENGINES. ANY OTHER SEALS MUST BE APPROVED BY BUBBA RACEWAY PARK TECH OFFICIAL IN ADVANCE. ALL REBUILT CRATE ENGINES WITH A NON-FACTORY SEAL ARE SUBJECT TO TEAR DOWN AT ANY TIME BY TRACK RULES. FACTORY BOLT SEALS ARE STILL SUBJECT TO TEAR DOWNS, BUT TRACK WILL WEIGH IN AND CONSIDER THE FACTORY BOLTS PRIOR TO TEAR DOWN.
- The sealed engines must remain intact and not be tampered with. Any seals that have been removed or tampered with will make the engine illegal and not eligible for competition. The penalty for anyone tampering with seals, modifying any internal engine parts, or changing the parts from stock as delivered seals from the factory or approved builder will be subject to driver and owner of car being disqualified from that event and/or expulsion from racing with the track for the remainder of the season and into next season if near end of year.
- All crate engines must remain stock as they came sealed from the factory and/or certified/approved engine rebuilder. Crate engines must not be altered, modified or changed from factory specs.
- Bubba Raceway Park will continue to look at the rules and regulations concerning crate engines, to continue to strive for better competitions between cars.
- Rear end must be strictly stock for make and model. May brace rearend providing no mounting points are moved or altered to do so.
- C-clip eliminator kit is allowed. No lockers, limited slip or full spools. Welded rearend or mini spool okay.
- May use aftermarket OEM replacement axles.
- Engine location in stock position for make and model in factory mounts.
- Solid hub clutch discs are okay. Must be full circle.
- No lightweight clutch assemblies.
- No light weight clutch covers.
- Cars that did not come with a standard transmission can use a hydraulic clutch pedal only.
- Steel drive shaft only
- Automatic and manual transmission must have all working gears.
- L88 flywheel okay. Minimum weight is 14 lbs.
- Automatic transmission must have working torque converter. Minimum 10″. No direct drive or dummy converters.
- 12 volt battery fired ignition only.
- OEM points or HEI distributor only.
- May use billet distributor housing.
- Distributor may be locked.
- No printed circuit board modules.
- Alternator is okay.
- Stock OEM cast iron manifold or under chassis header with 3 inch collector. No exhaust larger than 2.5″ beyond header collector. May run open header but must have turn downs.
- No step headers.
- Mufflers are okay.
- No additives allowed.
- Pump or racing fuel is allowed.
- Fuel Cell Mandatory.
- Cutting the trunk for the fuel cell is permitted.
- No electric fuel pumps.
- Fuel cell must be in 12 gauge can and centered.
- Must be securely mounted with at least two 2” by 1/8” steel straps.
- Stock factory OEM 4 wheel working brakes only (calipers must be the same size).
- No brake bias devices of any kind.
- May remove OEM proportioning valve.
- No aftermarket brake pedals.
- Brakes must retain OEM stock type master cylinder and stock pedal assembly. No aftermarket brake pedal and/or master cylinder assemblies.
- Can run rear disc brakes. Rotors must be solid. No aluminum rotor hats.
- No drilled, scalloped or vaned rotors.
Wheels and Tires
- Hoosier H500 tires only. No grooving, siping or needling of tires.
- Phase in for tires, first week RR mandatory H500
- Second week RR and LR mandatory H500
- Third week RF, LR and RR mandatory H500
- Forth week and remainder of season H500 Only.
- You may run all H500 from first night on, if you choose to do so.
- 15″x8″ steel wheels only. May use any offset.
- No wheel spacers
- Beadlock wheels okay.
- NO tire softeners. NO soaking of tires. NO pre-heating of tires. NO chemicals of any type inside of tires except oxygen or nitrogen. All tires are subject to a punch rule.
The Bubba Raceway Park officials may inspect any car and equipment at anytime for compliance. All cars must have a safety inspection each season before they race.
- All required safety equipment and apparel must be in use while the car is on the track.
- Racing helmet with min Snell 95 rating. Neck brace or hans device recommended.
- Fire suit with SFI min rating of “I”. No holes or torn fire suits allowed.
- Fire resistant gloves, shoes and socks must be worn at all times car is on track.
- A MINIMUM 4 point roll cage must be steel pipe or tubing, a minimum of 1 1/2″ (1.50″) outside diameter with minimum .095″ wall thickness. No square tubing or galvanized pipe allowed. No exceptions. Roll bar padding required around driver. Unibody cars may be tied together not to exceed 10″ overlap at joint front and rear. No double frame. All rear & front roll cage tubes must sit on original frame.
- An engine kill switch must be mounted in the window net area and easily accessible by the driver and from the outside of the car. The switch must be clearly marked “Ignition switch” and show on and off position.
- All cars must have a fire extinguisher minimum 2 lbs. with working gauge, securely mounted within easy reach of the driver.
- A single quick release 4 point harness (minimum 3″ belts) dated within the last 5 years or newer is required in all vehicles. All required belts must be in use anytime the car is on the track. Racing harness must be attached to the role cage.
- Window nets are required on the driver’s side of the car and must be securely mounted. Nets must latch at the top and be operational from inside and outside of car. Drivers must be able to exit both sides of the car.
- Aluminum racing seats mandatory.
- Drive shaft must be painted white and include the car number. Drive shaft hoop will be a 5″ diameter steel loop. 1″ wide and 1/4″ thick. It must be securely mounted to the frame 12″ from the front universal. Must have one on rear drive shaft.
- One 12v battery shall be secured to frame of car and must be encased.
- All lead ballast must be painted white with car number and secured with one 1/2″ bolt per 50lbs. It is your responsibility to make sure your ballast stays in your car for everyone’s safety. Penalty weights must be painted red or orange.
- Throttle toe strap is mandatory. Throttle linkage must have two return springs.
- All cars must have front and rear hook ups for towing.
- All cars must have a radiator over flow can. Water only for coolant.
- All standard transmissions must have a scatter shield.
If it’s not stated in the rules it doesn’t mean it’s approved. Please consult with the tech official for approval. All tech decisions are final. The track reserves the right to add weight to any driver in the fairness of competition.